Locations: McKinney/Sherman, Texas
Employment Type: Full Time
The Director of Engineering is responsible for providing complete oversight for the direction, planning, management and ongoing oversight of all engineering operations on a company-wide basis. Provide input on strategic decision making and processes to the VP, Engineering and other Directors and Officers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Reports directly to the Vice President, Engineering and would be participate in all senior manager planning covering engineering, detailing/modeling and principal engineering (non-production or not design related) work for the firm.
2. Develops and oversees the Engineering operation. Candidate would anticipate, plan and map group, team and staff skills to the work and would also recruit, train and deploy staff throughout the firm.
3. Responsible for the HR and budgetary oversight for the Engineering group.
4. Ability to develop proposals and meet, present and secure work on behalf of the firm either alone or in concert with of others in the firm.
5. Directs preliminary engineering activities, such as the project development, programming or schematic design phase of work, when needed and focusing on large value or high risk work. Works with the Engineering Group and Team Leaders in the development of the detailed design and the final engineering product via the project planning process.
6. Directs delicate or significant project close-out, installation or manufacturing QA/QC or testing/commissioning operations on behalf of the Operations group.
7. Will be tasked to act as the firm’s emissary for dispute resolution or sensitive client work or negotiations.
8. Ability to work independently with little direction based on the operating business plan and financial controls.
9. Ability to take executive-level guidance and develop a complete action plan for the required deliverables or project. This would encompass situations with murky or conflicting guidance or goals.
10. Develops complex and interrelated project-specific work, such as sequence of operations, equipment/system testing scripts or complex engineering products.
11. Perform periodic technical work as needed to include the review, comment and process equipment and system submittals; coordination between architectural, structural, mechanical, plumbing, process and all electrical trades; prepare designs, check, and specify systems related to your expertise; and coordinate your work with the project specifications, scope of services or equipment buy-out.
12. Visits project locations to ascertain existing conditions, test factory-built systems prior to shipment to the job site; conduct field investigations of your work, oversee repairs or testing and to prosecute your efforts to conclusion as necessary.
13. Conducts value engineering evaluations to fully engineered designs.
14. Works closely with the project team to coordinate the design criteria with budgetary issues.
15. Researches and resolves documentation interpretation problems, conflicts, interference's, and errors.
16. Extensive knowledge of equipment and fluency in electrical system testing and commissioning is required.
17. Supports the firm’s Pre-Construction efforts, especially in the fields of Estimating and Business Development. Assist in the identification and development of leads and closing of new work. Has the ability to maintain external customer relationships throughout the term of the relationship or project.
18. Reviews plans and review technical specifications, contract documents, and estimates for correctness and completeness.
19. Prepares documentation for the commissioning of a building.
20. Resolves a variety of complex problems (i.e. conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of conventional materials, difficult coordination requirements).
21. The duties and responsibilities are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing and other duties will be assigned based on the positions role within the business unit.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university or college in electrical engineering, architectural engineering, construction sciences, or related discipline. Or, a technical degree consistent with the scope of the area of expertise
• 10 years of related work experience
• A PE is required but may also be obtained in no more than 24 months from the time of employment
• Can be a combination of education, training and relevant experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
• Advanced knowledge of all aspects of building systems electrical engineering, manufacturing or technology is required
• Advanced knowledge of specific aspects of the electrical design, construction or manufacturing is required, typically coupled with demonstrated expertise in one or two specific areas or building types related to our work
• Proficient in using a computer and Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.); Oracle preferred
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple tasks, changing priorities as necessary
• Ability to work under time pressure and adapt to changing requirements with a positive attitude
• Effective oral and written communication skills as required for the position
• Ability to be self-motivated, proactive and an effective team player
• Ability to interact effectively and professionally with all levels of employees, both management and staff alike, vendors, clients, and others
• Up to 30%
• General work environment – sitting for long periods, standing, walking, typing, carrying, pushing, bending. Work is conducted primarily indoors with varying environmental conditions such as fluorescent lighting and air conditioning
• Noise level is usually low to medium
• Occasional lifting of up to 40 lbs.
Modular Power Solutions is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are considered regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Revision Date: October 2014